Monday, March 16, 2015

Cerego: an adaptive learning tool for improving your knowledge of a variety of subjects


Some of you might remember a recent post I wrote regarding my two years of brain training with Lumosity (and why I decided to stop using Lumosity). In that post I mentioned the importance of having a mental exercise regimen. I usually run through 30 to 60 minutes of mental exercise every morning. One of the tools I like to use (outside of Khan Academy, Duolingo, and others) is an adaptive learning program from the website Cerego.com.

Cerego offers spaced rehearsals for recalling information that you've stored. You can read about how Cerego works on their websiteI've been using Cerego to learn the top most used 1000 words in Spanish; to memorize all of the capitals, flags, locations, and names of all of the countries of the world; to remember some of the most important paintings and books in history; and to review some of the most important terminology in physics. Also, I've created a couple of learning sets for Cerego of my own.

My geobiology set covers some of the important ideas related to how life is intertwined with the environment. From microbial metabolisms (like Anammox, denitrification, sulfur oxidation, and methanogenesis) to important biological molecules (like ferredoxins, hopanoids, and various enzymes), the set attempts to aid the learner in remembering some of the most important concepts in geobiology. You can find that set here: Geobiology on Cerego.

The set that I created for geology covers much of the terminology that a student would encounter in an introductory geology course in college, though it's definitely accessible to anyone who has interest in understanding geology. There is a lot of terminology in geology; by learning some of the key terms and ideas, the student of geology can better understand what they read and hear with regard to the Earth sciences. You can find my set here: Geology on Cerego.

You can learn a little more about the approach of the developers of Cerego in this video:


What kinds of websites and tools do you use for your own brain training? Do you like to learn with audio and video or do you prefer books and reading? Do you use applications like the adaptive learning platform from Cerego? We all learn in different ways and it's up to each of us to find the optimal strategy for ourselves. Although I like learning through lectures (like those offered by MOOCs such as the offerings on Coursera), I learn far better through reading and by making associations with what I read and see. An approach like that of Cerego works well for me. You should definitely check it out and see what you think. Here's that website again: Cerego.com


Exercising your brain (taken from Psychology Today)

1 comment:

  1. I was looking for articles on cerego in India and I came across yours inspiring read. Great post!
    cerego

    ReplyDelete