Tuesday, November 24, 2015

How Do You Take Your Coffee?


Coffee is one of the most consumed products on the planet. Especially among Northern European nations (Finland actually ranks the highest) but also growing in countries like India and China, coffee consumption has become a daily part of life for many people. Some people take their coffee black, some like a little cream and sugar, and some people prefer all the dressings of flavors, creams, sugars, and foams that lattes and the like have to offer.

Some of my best moments with my family when I was younger was when we would sit around, drink coffee, and talk about anything and everything in life. Nowadays, I tend to enjoy my coffee with either lots of fat or with some nice spices. 

Coffee with Butter and Oil


If you pay any attention to nutrition fads and trends, fitness media, or anything related to Crossfit, then you've probably heard of Bulletproof Coffee. If not, then be warned: you might find this gross. But, then again, you might really like it. I do.

Bulletproof Coffee is a recipe (but also a brand) created by Dave Asprey, who goes by the handle, The Bulletproof Executive. He's taken the Asian idea of Yak Butter Tea and introduced it into mainstream America in the form of coffee with lots of fat. Asprey's original recipe called for 1-2 tablespoons (~15-30 mL) each of butter and medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) added to a cup of coffee and blended. One great source of MCTs is coconut oil, which is also tasty.

I don't really care right now to argue for or against the health benefits of getting lots of fat in your diet. There's a lot of information out there in that realm, and maybe I'll write a post some day about MCTs and why I choose to get lots of fat in my diet, but, for now, let me just say that I love drinking my coffee with butter and oil! 

I personally rock about about 3 tablespoons (~45 mL) each of butter and coconut oil in my coffee each morning. I like to drink it while checking email, doing some brain training, and reading articles online. I estimate that it gives me about 700 calories, mostly in fat. Most mornings, that's all that I have for breakfast and I usually feel awesome for most of the day after that.

Want to give it a try? Do it! You might hate it. You might love it. However, please take this warning: try it the first time with a very small amount of coconut oil. When people start including coconut oil or straight MCTs into their diet, they tend to get diarrhea. No one wants to get through their morning coffee only to have the runs waylay them before they can kick some ass out of their day!


Sometimes a Little Spice is Everything Nice


Even though I rock my morning coffee with lots of fat (see above) sometimes I like to have a second coffee in the day, usually in the early-to-mid afternoon (evening coffees can also be fun from time to time, but they're also good at messing up sleeping patterns). When I have that second coffee in day, I tend to prefer it with some spice, specifically with some cinnamon and nutmeg. 

Cinnamon and nutmeg, along with spices like clove or allspice, are the kinds of spices that are great at adding lots of flavor and enjoyment with just a small dash of the spice. There are plenty of arguments out there for the health benefits of using these spices as well, however, again, I choose not to get into that here. I just want to talk about the coffee! 

I like a little flick of cinnamon and nutmeg in my coffee along with some half-and-half cream or some heavy whipping cream (none of that low-fat stuff for me!). It tastes super yummy and the spice seems to help me with taking smaller sips (maybe I just want to savor each sip all the more).



I've told you about two of my favorite ways to enjoy coffee. So, tell me, how do you take your coffee?

No comments:

Post a Comment